Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Play on Words - Semantics!


I was walking down the street yesterday heading to a store. I came to a stop at the crosswalk. As I waited for the light to change, I noticed a poster on the side of a city bus announcing an upcoming movie. I immediately recognized Bruce Willis in the picture so I looked more closely. I really like Bruce Willis. The other actor on the poster is Tracy Morgan. Do you remember Bruce in Moonlighting… mind you he has more famous and notable films but I loved him them and I got a lot of him every week. The Sixth Sense was also a kicker. Anyway, back to the point of this post. This movie is called Cop Out. As I saw the title, I thought wow! Cop Out! Cop-out! hmmm! Semantics, schemantics.


As I walked away about my business, the whole thing resonated with me and I started to recount the various words and phrases that we use and in the various ways, willy-nilly, just because. With that, another favorite actor came to mind, Fran Dresser from The Nanny. Fran coined the phrase 'cancer schmancer' when she was dealing with her illness. This was a way to demystify, or reduce the concern or the seriousness of the effect of the illness. I miss Fran, even though I see the re-runs, I would love an update.

I came up with semantics schemantics for the fun of it. Cop Out, Cop-out! On the poster for the movie Cop Out, the actors have police badges and guns. Cop-out is weaseling out, changing mind, backing out of a plan. It is all in the utterance, I guess. Check this out; Cop Stop! Stop, Cop! I guess 'they' don't say 'Cop' but you know what I mean. I also wonder how folks, from different places keep up with us. I really get the “how do you say that, um…” or “how do you call it eh…” thing from non-native English speakers, or maybe I should say non-American language speakers, who are trying to communicate with us and wanting to be ‘correct’.


This is interesting and I am sure there is a whole web of stories, and instances where we are very confused or confuse others with the play on words we often do. I guess others in their various languages may, or have a similar play on words. I would love to hear about them. Interesting, right?! Maybe this could be the start of a meme.

So should you go see the move? I don’t know. I have no idea; I haven’t read the reviews or seen any previews or any other promo stuff. I don't have any plans yet about seeing it either. It just got my attention.

What about you? Have you seen the move or have plans to go see it soon?

No comments: