Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Fathers Day Tribute to you


If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation
has a fifty percent chance of being right. - Bill Cosby
As I thought about a tribute for father’s day, I thought I would post a famous quote framed in a nice border, something pointed and simple. I searched the web for a quote, because I was lazy to try to remember one from my father or grandfather, or even one from my husband. As I scrolled through quotes I came upon this one by Bill Cosby and thought, this is it! As I read through, it brought to mind an experience we had which makes this quote real. I couldn’t just put this one in the frame and post it as I thought because I have a story.

Several years ago I had to work on a day that the kids were off from school and my husband was off from work. I decided not to take the day off but to leave the three of them home to take care of each other. They got along famously. They didn’t have anything planned so I went off without getting the kids dressed or combed their hair etc. I figured he could manage their daily upkeep until I got back home.

Around mid-day that day, my husband called me to say he had to go out on some business and he would bring the girls to me at the job. The girls were excited at the prospect of coming to see me but I was mortified. It was ok for the kids to come to me but I was worried about how he would do their hair. Getting them washed and dressed for the trip was no concern at all. It was the hair. He has never done their hair and they had long thick curly hair. They were way too young at the time, single digit ages, to be able to really help either. I composed my self and kept working waiting for them to arrive and prepared to accept some funny hair do.

My husband called again to say he will be leaving soon but he was not sure how to do their hair. I gasped, just leave it as is and bring me the hair stuff bag, or pull it back with the clips. He said not to worry he will do the best he could, so I accepted. When they arrived, they were very happy to see me and quite happy that daddy did their hair. I tool a look and said nice job! He looked at me and we both smiled. It wasn’t my hair combing or maybe a female’s standard but he did the best he could and you know what, it wasn’t half bad. So, yeah, it was half right. The part was crooked, the sections uneven, the twists undefined and shaggy but the clips were on in matching colors.
I am very grateful that my kids have such a devoted and caring father. He worships the ground they walk on and they love him.

Happy fathers day to all. Give it your best and it will be at least half right. We will take your best all of the time. And the kids, they will love you for it. Thanks Dr. Crosby, well said.

No comments: