Sunday, May 3, 2009

out of commission by flu


I have been totally laid up for the last 5 days. This is the first time in that many days that I am able to as much as sit in front of the computer. As much as I wanted to check in with you guys, I couldnt get beyond the initial thought of getting on line. My eyes hurt and vision is wierd but I am beginning to feel better. I don't think I am out of the woods yet because I am very weak and still with the fever and headache. I am really pushing it here. So what's wrong?
Well I will tell you with a copy of a description directly from WebMD below. This is exactly what is going on with me. I was totally good for nothing during this time but starting to recover, I hope. I didn't get to the cough and sneezing part yet but my chest is starting to get stiff. It it really a horrible illness. I will give you the details later but here is some info for you.
Stay well!

Influenza - Symptoms

The symptoms of influenza (flu) appear suddenly and often include:
Fever of 100F to 104F, which can reach 106F when symptoms first develop. Fever is usually continuous, but it may come and go. Fever may be lower in older adults than in children and younger adults. When fever is high, other symptoms usually are more severe.
Body aches and muscle pain (often severe), commonly in the back, arms, or legs.
Headache.
Pain when you move your eyes.
Fatigue, a general feeling of sickness (malaise), and loss of appetite.
A dry cough, runny nose, and dry or sore throat. You may not notice these during the first few days of the illness when other symptoms are more severe. As your fever goes away, these symptoms may become more evident.
Influenza usually does not cause symptoms in the stomach or intestines, such as vomiting and diarrhea.

For more information check out CDC flu site. It outlines the various types of flu and treatment and other very useful information.

For whatever its worth, I had a bout with the 'seasonal flu'. The symptoms were severe eventhough I had my flu shot!

Watch out guys, the bugs are out to get us!
There is a whole lot of good in frequent and proper handwashing. Cover coughs and 'achoos!'

Be well!

No comments: