Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tech Support humor

I have been more frustrated than pleased with his whole episode and experience of blogging. Mind you, I enjoy the writing and posting etc. The problem for me is with the functionality of the blog. I have been working endlessly on trying to get the blog in a position to get seen, after all that is a goal of the exercise.

I’ve read a lot of tips and tricks and direction on how to increase “traffic” to blogs. I am just trying to get some traffic not to mention increase traffic, well, yeah increase. Increase from zero to some! So after all of the research and reading and trying to follow the instructions I don’t think I’ve made a difference. I’ve found some new tools and picked up some tips on widgets but still no traffic. I think I have succeeded in loading up my hard drive with programs and gadgets but none of them have produced the results I am looking for. I don’t even think I’ve gotten off first base with any of the tools. Well, I went back to what I know and enjoy.

I went to read my emails that I’ve been neglecting because I was consumed with blog traffic. I finally opened my April newsletter from Inner works Messenger. This is a monthly newsletter that I’ve subscribe to for some months now. I am always happy and renewed by the articles and stories, poems etc that are there. I usually find something to help me to focus on an issue or situation that crossed my plate or on my plate at the time. As I browsed the newsletter through the humor section I got some comic relief to my situation. Remember I said I was frustrated with seeking a way to increase blog traffic, well lo and behold what did I see? The entry called Tech Support. Naturally it caught my eyes and as I read I laughed hysterically. Yeah, the accounts are funny and they reminded me that this computer or technology business can really take you out of your frame, even when you are seriously trying to get something done.

I thought I would share this piece with you for comic relief because I was relieved. I will go back to try to figure out this traffic thing because I think I have something to share. I hope I will make some progress this time around. So, think about me and my blog traffic situations as you read, and if you have some solutions please share them with me. I promise I will also share your kindness with everyone else.

Here is the InnerWords April 2009 Humor entry:
These are actual calls to technical support help desks...

A woman called the Canon help desk with a problem with her printer. The tech asked her if she was "running it under Windows." The woman then responded, "No, my desk is next to the door. But that is a good point. The man sitting in the cubicle next to me is under a window, and his is working fine."

Tech Support: "How much free space do you have on your hard drive?"

Customer: "Well, my wife likes to get up there on that Internet, and she downloaded ten hours of free space. Is that enough?"

Overheard in a computer shop:
Customer: "I'd like a mouse mat, please."
Salesperson: "Certainly sir, we've got a large variety."

Customer: "But will they be compatible with my computer?"

I once received a fax with a note on the bottom to fax the document back to the sender when I was finished with it, because he needed to keep it.

I work for a local ISP. Frequently we receive phone calls that go something like this:
Customer: "Hi. Is this the Internet?"
Customer: "So that'll get me connected to the Internet, right?"
Tech Support: "Yeah."
Customer: "And that's the latest version of the Internet, right?"

Tech Support: "Uhhh... uh... uh... yeah."
Tech Support: "Ok Bob, let's press the control and escape keys at the same time. That brings up a task list in the middle of the screen. Now type the letter 'P' to bring up the Program Manager."
Customer: "I don't have a 'P'."
Tech Support: "On your keyboard, Bob."
Customer: "What do you mean?"
Tech Support: "'P' on your keyboard, Bob."
Customer: "I'm not going to do that!"

Customer: "My computer crashed!"
Tech Support: "It crashed?"
Customer: "Yeah, it won't let me play my game."
Tech Support: "All right, hit Control-Alt-Delete to reboot."
Customer: "No, it didn't crash-it crashed."
Tech Support: "Huh?"
Customer: "I crashed my game. That's what I said before. Now it doesn't work."Turned out, the user was playing Lunar Lander and crashed his spaceship.
Tech Support: "Click on 'File,' then 'New Game.'"
Customer: [pause] "Wow! How'd you learn how to do that?"

Please check out the newsletter I think you will enjoy it! Here is the link:

Innerworks Publishing E-mail your articles, questions or humor to: Suzanne@InnerWorksPublishing.Com

No comments: