Thursday, July 8, 2010

Staying Calm and Cool in the Heat Wave

Oh what a heat wave! I was tired of the winter and the barrage of rainfall this year but I don’t think I was looking for this kind of summer right out of the gate. I had some appointments in the field today and man, let me tell you; the saying that the heat is oppressive really came to life for me. It was just hot. Hot, as it was yesterday and the day before that and the day before that. As the heat assaulted me, I tried to stay calm especially when I looked around and saw everyone else just going along calm and quiet. They seem to be coping well, not agitated or bothered so I figure I should join the club. I later realize that staying calm is a good strategy against the summer heat.

Just psyching myself to stay calm and endure the heat was a job. Even under the canopy of a tree, waiting for the bus, the heat was fierce. Actually, the air was hot as it entered my nostrils. It was "hotter than July"! When the bus showed up it was not too soon. Thank goodness, for air-conditioned bus. By the time I got to my stop, a short ride, I was cool and composed. I had to get back out into the oven but I just had to cross to the other side of the street to enter my air-conditioned building.

It was good tyo get into the building again. As I settled in to get into the routine I felt really drained and lethargic. I felt a headache coming on as I downed some water. The headache lingered so I sought relief from some Alieve, drank more water and had a bowl of fruits.
So how do you stay cool on days like these when staying in doors with the air conditioner and fans on or lying by the pool or getting wet with the sprinklers is not an option? There is no magic formula or real serious ideas to get relief. We just need to apply some common sensical things  that we know but forget to do during the hot weather.

Here are five things to keep in mind and do to keep yourself safe and cool.

1. Stay hydrated – drink plenty of fluids. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol in the heat.
2. Cover yourself. Wear a hat. Use sunscreen with high SPF; wear loose, soft, light colored clothes
3. Think cool and stay calm - Stay out of the heat as much as you can – go into stores and shops to cool        off as you move along the street. Limit or reduce activities outdoors.
4. Eat cool meals and refresh with ices and fruit pops.
5. Drink, drink, drink!

I am sure there are many more tips to help you stay cool during the hot weather. Of course, there is an additional list of things to do to stay cool while indoors like use the fans and air conditioners, turn lights down and stay calm. You should add these to your summer cool routine.

Feel free to share your tips to stay cool during the  hot summer days here.
Stay cool my friends! Enjoy the summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Philly. I have an award for you. Please drop over and read my last 2 postings and pick up your award.