Saturday, October 3, 2009

Is the kitchen kettle obsolete?


Is the kitchen kettle obsolete or on its way out? Do you own a kitchen kettle or do you use your kettle often or at all?
I have a big stainless steel kettle that I keep on my stove in the kitchen. It always sits on one of the back burners or on the counter next to the stove if I am doing a big cooking deal. As soon as the burners are free, there goes the kettle again, back to its place on the stove. It takes that place …just because I like the look of it there. I grew up with the old copper kettle and then the various ‘fancy’ versions of the kettle on the stove. We used it back then quite often, 3 or more times a day. It was one of the most used and useful kitchen ‘pots’ in the house. Pretty much everyone in the house used the kettle.

I did my usual end of the week cleaning in the kitchen today. This process involves taking the stove top apart and cleaning the burners etc., after doing the dishes, and back boards etc. My kettle sits on the stove. It is somewhat nostalgic and perhaps the most value to me. Because the kettle sits on the stove it collects all of the spills, splatter and spray from steam and dust, what ever leaves a residue on, over or by the stove. By the end of the week it is really ready for a scrub, well, most of the time.

My kettle is washed and filled with water and sit on a burner all week. When was the last time I used it, you ask? Hmmm, let me see. I don’t recall. I haven’t boiled the kettle in weeks if not months. I may have poured some water from it into my stew the other night because I needed some water in a hurry. Do I have a need for hot water for teas, sauces etc? Yeah but that’s the role of the microwave or the electric coffee/tea pot these days. The Brita filter and bottled water takes care of the rest of water needs.

As I scrubbed the kettle to its very shiny and clean exterior, I wondered how many people have a kettle on their stove top or use a kettle anymore. Is the kettle in its many varieties, designs, sizes and colors gone or going the way of the dinosaurs or the way of so many other kitchen gadgets? I wonder!

Take a minute and respond to the poll below because I would like to know where I stand among kettle users and uses in this century.

1. Do you own a kettle?
2. How often do you use it?
3. What is the most common uses for your kettle?
4. Where do you keep it regularly?
5. Do you think the kettle is over?

Please copy and paste the questions in the comment box and send me your response.

6 comments:

Nessa said...

Hi Philly!

I have a kettle, but it hasn't been used in ages... ever since I bought a Thermopot. I think kettles will become a decorative kitchen gadget in future... and my future grandkids would probably have no idea of its function! :)

Lin said...

What?! The kettle is obsolete??! NO!
My kettle is on the stove like yours, except I use it all the time. I'm a big tea drinker, so that bad boy is used constantly--almost daily, especially in winter. I use it to boil water to cook with and make tea--the microwave doesn't do it for me, I don't think it gets hot enough. Maybe that's psychological, who knows. So, yes, I still use mine.

r said...

I own a kettle, and I use it every morning for tea. In fact, I can't think of a better way to boil water for tea (microwaving does strange things to the molecules of the water, ans doesn't taste as good.)
The tea kettle sits on the stovetop, since it's used daily. I sure hope it won't be obsolete anytime soon!

Simon said...

Do you own a kettle?Yes
2. How often do you use it?10 times a day
3. What is the most common uses for your kettle?Tea
4. Where do you keep it regularly?On the kitchen bench,it's electric.
5. Do you think the kettle is over?Not whilst there is an Englishman alive!

philly5113 said...

Simon, your comment #5 made me laugh. Thanks for visiting and responding. I guess the kettle is one of those forever inventions.

Thanks

philly5113 said...

Thanks Nessa, Lin and R for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time respond sharing your connection and appreciation to the kettle.

I actually just used mine and sitting here sipping a spot of team, Simon.
Kettle, yeah, you rock!

Thanks guys.